Welcome to Microsoft Codename Longhorn XP (Alpha Build
3683) Multi-Bootable CD
Longhorn will become a major Windows
Release by Microsoft, it is expected to be in the shops early in 2005. The
Longhorn Build 3683 on this CD came from one of those Alpha Builds which made
their way onto the Internet in September. This multi-bootable CD corrected
some mistakes existing in the leaked version of Longhorn and there are some
other improvements being made as well.
- Corrected cdtagfile-name to win51 & win51ip (which were incorrectly
named as win51.dat & win51ip.dat in the leaked version).
- Installation of Longhorn can now be done by booting the CD directly or by
running the \i386\winnt.exe under DOS environment. (The leaked version
was unable to do this because of the wrong cdtagfile-name.)
- As usual, Install/Upgrade can also be done from Win32 GUI.
- Fixed the LONGHORN.JPG which was responsible for the Bliss Wallpaper.
- The 180 days Timebomb has been removed from the SETUPREG.HIV. Since
the SETUPREG.HIV is now of the "Full Version", we are able to remove those
"Evaluation" messages from the installed Longhorn Desktop. (Removing
Timebomb from SETUPREG.HIV does not mean that we can use the Longhorn forever
because it may contradict to some other coding which M$ put onto this Alpha
product. Please do NOT play by pushing your Calendar ahead!)
- Using Boot Scriptor Version 1.2.14b, the CD is now able to display BMP
images during the booting time.
- In addtion to booting to install the Microsoft Longhorn XP, the
Multi-Bootable CD is also capable to boot the Rescue Menu from which it can
boot MS-DOS 6.22, PC-DOS 7.0, Win98 + CMD Support, Win98 + NTFS Support,
Partition Magic 8, Partition Recovery, NAV & Ghost 2003, Bart's Network,
SCSI-Tools & CDROM Boot-Disk , EZRecovery, Drive Image 6, SpinRite 5,
GNU/Linux & NT-Password Administration
- Under Win32 environment, the Autorun CD-Menu will allow Setup of Microsoft
Codename Longhorn as usual.
- Install with the following Product-Key: CKY24-Q8QRH-X3KMR-C6BCY-T847Y (14days)
If you're a .NET 2003 beta tester, you can use your Microsoft
provided key. Please note that RESET 4.04 & 5.01 are NOT going to
work with this version of LONGHORN, and you have to ACTIVATE in order to make
Longhorn to work beyonds the 14 days grace period.
- Install with any one of the following approaches:
- Boot from CD and select "1" from the Install & Interactive Menu to install
- Under DOS, run \i386\winnt.exe (it is strongly recommended to run DOS
smartdrv.exe first). e.g. X:\i386\winnt.exe /s:X:\i386 /t:D (X is the drive
letter of your CD and D is the drive letter of your target hard-disk where
you want the copied temporary files to be put and the Longhorn XP to be
- Under Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP, run setup.exe or \i386\winnt32.exe of
your selected XP. e.g. X:\i386\winnt32.exe /s:X:\i386 /tempdrive:D
- Under Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP, you can also use the Autorun CD-Menu to
install the Longhorn XP.
- Notes for removing "Evaluation" Stuffs from desktop:
To get rid of the Evaluation Stuffs off the desktop, remove the following
by Michael K.H. Au-Yeung, on November 23, 2002.